Author Topic: In a pinnacle about wether to donate or not  (Read 3501 times)

Offline PrPsc

In a pinnacle about wether to donate or not
« on: 05-08-2013, 23:54:23 »
As the title says, there's something that's been bothering me for a while now, I find it odd that you dictate the use of the program in a way that shy's me away from it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this program to the fullest extent, but it seems as though you're discriminating against users based upon what they are using the program for. I find this an odd way of doing business, it's like walking into a tool shop and asking for a wrench, the guy isn't going to ask you what you're going to use it for, nor is the wrench going to modify itself upon using it on different things.

This is what you're program is doing and how you're recieving your donations. You've programmed the application so it only allows for 1 upload on server based Windows Operating Systems. While on Windows XP/7/8 it allows for 8 uploads in parallel. You shouldn't do those kind of things if you wanna encourage people to donate. Infact this encourages people to pirate your software because you're telling them to pay more than other users just because they use the software in a different way.

I like to pay for my software, but this way of working is really a bad business model. Wether you're serious about the software as a job or just recieving donations on the side. Try not to make your donaters feel like they are forced to donate, just because of how they use the software. Rather try setting consistent prices for what part of the software you can use and not use.

The donation page is very undetailed as to how everything works, and it seems like you're not disclosing alot of it on purpose. Quickly replying to people that they need to donate if they want *insert certain feature here*.

I want to know what I am getting for what I am donating, in precise way, before that time I refuse to donate.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, - PrPsc
« Last Edit: 19-08-2013, 19:58:52 by z_o_o_m »

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
Re: In a pinnacle about wether to donate or not.
« Reply #1 on: 06-08-2013, 08:12:00 »
Hi,
well, it might be a little confusing but I haven't found any better way.

The problem is not the operating system but only the people. It is not that big issue if people use my program at home but
there are people who use server computers (with Windows Server) to upload fast and easily with my program to get money.
And the real problem is that the bigger group of such people just use my HARD work and they have no intention to reward me
for my work and they don't even appreciate that my program makes uploading much easier.
So such computers are blocked if they reach freeware limitaion. All this would NOT be necessary if people were not such impolite.

Obviously, I would not get any donation if I didn't tell it to people directly.
Yes, there are few people who are really happy to donate but it is like 1% of them which is sad :(

So donations section says everything what is needed. You should probably read whole section as "account types" pages
says what is allowed and what is not.
« Last Edit: 06-08-2013, 08:16:01 by z_o_o_m »

Offline PrPsc

« Reply #2 on: 07-08-2013, 12:53:25 »
The account types page is not complete.

It doesn't tell you about what the differences are when using it on either a Personal System or a Enterprise System(server).
There's no indications of prices, nor does it specify at what point you get premium instead of a registered version.

It's kind of weird that you call the people that use your program at it's full potential "impolite". Donations are meant to be voluntary, if people decide not to reward you for your work, and you force them to, it's not a donation, it's called buying.
If you didn't want people using your software to make money, without rewarding you. Then you should have implemented things differently.

I'll try explaining my personal situation to you, I was using your program for a while now since the 3.xx version. Then suddenly you made some changes, the ones we've been discussing so far.
At this point you probably found out people were making money with your program and felt you should be rewarded for your efforts and hard work. The fact is though, you never specified that people couldn't use the program like that, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to use your program that way.

Now you claim that people that use your program that way, are impolite and "misuse" your program. This not the case, if you we're clear about it from the start I would have happily paid for your software. Now I feel tricked/forced into donating, because the freeware version is unusable for Server System users.

How much would I have to donate to get premium anyway?

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
« Reply #3 on: 07-08-2013, 13:25:00 »
if you can read, program shows in the EULA that it is "FREEWARE for non-commercial purposes",
making money is commercial obviously ... the problem is that people have a problem with reading,
that is not my fault

and you are wrong again, the free and registered version and its limitations are clearly explained in the donations section
http://z-o-o-m.eu/donate3.htm
and premium prices are individual so just e-mail me for more info

you can feel whatever you want, the fact is that I will be always the "bad" one because people are ungrateful by nature,
to explain - they earn as much as possible, use my "free" work without any costs and feel unfair when I want something for my work in return

nothing is free, I have to spend my time and people misuse my good faith

... and I can't make my program as shareware (paid completely), a lot of people just use my program at home and that would not be fair to them
that they would pay for those who cause these problems

Offline PrPsc

Re: In a pinnacle about wether to donate or not
« Reply #4 on: 19-08-2013, 17:58:54 »
You're a very confusing person to exchange arguments with.

As though you don't seem to understand, that while the donate page indeed describes all of the information required. It lacks alot of details, the ones of which I metioned in my ealier post.

But what is most strange is that the use of the program seems rather contradictory, you as a developer added every single commercial uploading host out there, and yet you explicitly don't want the program to be used for commercial purposes. That really doesn't make any sense, it doesn't have anything to do with reading or not reading EULA, the way your software is designed, people figure "commercial use" is the only purpose of the program. In your case the program is screaming to do, exactly that which you don't want people to use the program for. You've developed a kangoroo, and it's basic function is not jumping.

I understand now why you don't wan't people to pay for your software, and keep it fair for your other people who do use it "legitimately". I wonder though, are you keeping track of the people who  use your software? can you give me an example of a person who would use your software for these "non-commercial" purposes. Because that's close to impossbile.

People who upload photo's and video's aren't going to use commercial hosts, like vidbux and vidxden. Your software allows bulk uploading accross a wide range of the most notorious commercial hosts out there.

And I still wonder what you mean by "individual". Does it mean you decide the price, depending on the use of the program?

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
« Reply #5 on: 19-08-2013, 19:58:43 »
I understand that you want to start a flame all the time and I don't have time for that.

Individual prices are a part of business. That is nothing strange.

And ... even if some sites have earning program, there are users who share files not for money but
for friends.

This discussion does not make any sense. You already made some own negative decision.
So either decide to use my program or not. That is up to you.

Bye ;)

Offline PrPsc

« Reply #6 on: 19-08-2013, 20:24:30 »
I don't find "individual prices" strange I just don't understand what it means..

If I look at the account type page, I clearly need a premium version of your software. What would that cost me?

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
« Reply #7 on: 19-08-2013, 20:29:06 »
that is individual ;)

e-mail me how much do you plan to upload daily

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Human verification ... What is the name of my program? File & Image ********?: