Author Topic: Shutdown in Windows 2000 SP4 not working  (Read 3282 times)

Offline trodas

• Just one crazy computer geek ;)
Shutdown in Windows 2000 SP4 not working
« on: 22-11-2012, 19:26:23 »
Shutdown in Windows 2000 SP4 is nto working, as simple, as that. The computer enter in some state, where it display window in low resolution, about that "now I can safely turn it off" and stay this way, so when I in morning come to it, it is NOT off, it still running. That is annoying at least. Of course, the latest version used (6.3.9), yet it happend in v6.3.8... Never tried this little program before, so... can't get any more in history ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
...just keep folding, just keep folding... :)

Offline trodas

Re: Shutdown in Windows 2000 SP4 not working
« Reply #1 on: 22-11-2012, 20:33:06 »
This is the failed shutdown look like:

So I tried the M$ shutdown.exe utility, anyone can get it there: http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm
Described there: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371
...and transformed their "shutdown /l /t:120 "The computer is shutting down" /y /c" to simple:
shutdown /l /y /c

After 30 sec countdown the computer ended up in exactly the same situation as showed above and as the Fileuploader do. In the end, this is the NOT a Fileuploader bug, but rather some system bug on my end.
I heard that ACPI must be working and IMHO it does, so I did not understand, but that is another story :)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
« Reply #2 on: 22-11-2012, 21:45:46 »
update Windows ;)

(PS: cesky se tu taky mluvi :D)

Offline trodas

« Reply #3 on: 23-11-2012, 17:48:08 »
Well, my Windows 2000 SP4 does shut down my PC properly. That is the problem. When I use the Start menu function, then the PC power off.

Oddly, when I use the shutdown command, then it end up the way FileUploader does - as the screenshot show.

Update Windows on such old PC is not reasonable at all. It is already pretty slow... Besides, I like W2k much more that XP. Well customizable, small memory and CPU needs... perfect OS :) I wonder, what went wrong...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Human verification ... What is the name of my program? File & Image ********?: