Author Topic: Reduce Your Host List Maintenance Effort  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Bill Cosby

Reduce Your Host List Maintenance Effort
« on: 31-01-2015, 22:49:19 »
ZOOM, I posted this in another forum, but I guess it belongs here:

I have several hosts that I upload to and many of them are not in FileUploader's lists. I would suggest allowing the user to create a host list file (either manually via a text editor or via a new feature in FileUploader [but still plaintext and editable]) for adding hosts that are not in your lists. This could relieve you of having to re-compile FileUploader with new hosts frequently. We can still send host urls we'd like to see in the list, but would be able to use them without waiting for an update - and you wouldn't be under so much pressure to get the host updates in. And, there may simply be hosts we don't want publicized or that you don't want to support.

Being a bit of a developer myself:

FileUploader.exe first reads user host file(s)
then then loads built-in list
then sorts them together and drops duplicates - with a message so we can delete/comment out these hosts in our local files.

I see there's already a topic about command line options, so here's another one:
FileUploader could have a default host list name and accept command line arguments for other file(s) or suppress list file loads altogether.

Users can create multiple shortcuts to FileUploader, each with different command line options, thereby customizing it's use. On a network, only those shortcuts needed by general users need be available, while an Administrator may have additional shortcuts.

What do you think?

Bill
« Last Edit: 01-02-2015, 09:07:36 by z_o_o_m »

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
Re: Let's Reduce Your Host List Maintenance Effort
« Reply #1 on: 01-02-2015, 09:07:26 »
As I mentioned, it will not be possible to add support for any custom plugins made by users.

I don't understand the second part much.
You can hide any hosts if you don't use it (Settings - Hostings view).
You can create a profile for fast selection of a group of hosts (Settings - Hosting profile).

Offline Bill Cosby

Re: Let's Reduce Your Host List Maintenance Effort
« Reply #2 on: 02-02-2015, 05:01:10 »
As I mentioned, it will not be possible to add support for any custom plugins made by users.

I don't understand the second part much.
You can hide any hosts if you don't use it (Settings - Hostings view).
You can create a profile for fast selection of a group of hosts (Settings - Hosting profile).

No, this is not a plugin. You have a list of hostings. It appears they are loaded every time FileUploader starts. I just want FileUploader to read a text file on my system with additional hostings and include them in the list.

That way you don't have to rebuild FileUploader so often to add hostings.

By the way, some hostings want a download key code. Does FileUploader have a way to pass one to a hosting?

Bill

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
Re: Reduce Your Host List Maintenance Effort
« Reply #3 on: 02-02-2015, 08:02:07 »
No plugins, no additional hostings. It is not possible.

Which site needs any download key code?

BillCosby

« Reply #4 on: 09-02-2015, 03:56:17 »
I don't see any dlkey hosters now. I see you've updated the list considerably - thank you!

Does 'Resumable' mean the upload is resumable? Does it also mean a download is resumable?

Sometimes the stated file sizes and upload limits don't match what the web site says.

For example, Load.to in the list says 300mb 30 days and the web site says 1gb and files are not deleted until 14 days of no activity.

Also, uploadbaz.com is in the list twice. First entry says Resumable, 2nd doesn't. Same url.

I thought I registered for the forum but I can't find my sign on or password.

Thanks for listening, ZOOM!

Bill

Offline z_o_o_m

• Administrator
  • just ask me ;)
    • File & Image Uploader
« Reply #5 on: 09-02-2015, 08:22:45 »
What is dlkey hoster? Give some links.

Yes, "resumable" means that upload can be stopped and resumed.
Some sites are there twice because there is alternative upload system, eg. when
it supports resumable uploads. It is correct.

I do not update the list very often. That informations are "as is", just overview.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Human verification ... What is the name of my program? File & Image ********?: